National Advisory Council on Indian Education – OIE
National Advisory Council on Indian Education
The National Advisory Council on Indian Education (Council) is authorized by §6141 of the Elementary and Secondary Education Act of 1965 (ESEA), 20 U.S.C. §7471. The Council is governed by the provisions of the Federal Advisory Committee Act (FACA), 5 U.S.C. App. 2.
DESCRIPTION OF DUTIES
The Council will:
- Advise the Secretary of Education and the Secretary of the Interior concerning the funding and administration (including the development of regulations and administrative policies and practices) of any program, including any program established under Title VI, Part A of the ESEA, with respect to which the Secretary has jurisdiction and (a) that includes Indian children or adults as participants or (b) that may benefit Indian children or adults;
- Make recommendations to the Secretary for filling the position of the Director of Indian Education whenever a vacancy occurs;
- Submit to the Congress, not later than June 30 of each year, a report on the activities of the Council, including any recommendations that the Council considers appropriate for the improvement of Federal education programs that include Indian children or adults as participants or that may benefit Indian children or adults, and recommendations concerning the funding of any such program; and
- Advise the White House Initiative on American Indian and Alaska Native Education (Initiative), in accordance with §5(a) of Executive Order 13592.
OFFICIAL TO WHOM COMMITTEE REPORTS
The Council shall advise the Secretary of Education, the Secretary of the Interior, and the Executive Director of the Initiative.
The Office of Elementary and Secondary Education (OESE) will provide financial and administrative support for the performance of the Council’s functions.
ESTIMATED ANNUAL STAFFING AND OPERATING COSTS
The estimated annual cost for operating the Council is $68,579.00. This includes compensation, travel, per diem, and other operating expenses for members to attend at least two meetings per year of an annual cost of approximately $50,000.00. Additionally, the estimated cost for staff support is a 0.08 full-time equivalent (FTE) at a cost of $18,579.00 per year.
DESIGNATED FEDERAL OFFICIAL (DFO)
The Assistant Secretary for OESE shall designate a full-time or permanent part-time employee in accordance with agency procedures to serve as the Designated Federal Official (DFO) for the Council.
The DFO shall (in accordance with guidance from 41 CFR §102-3.120 (a) – (e)):
- Approve or call the meeting of the advisory committee or subcommittee;
- Approve the agenda, except that this requirement does not apply to a Presidential advisory committee;
- Attend the meetings;
- Adjourn any meeting when he or she determines it to be in the public interest;
- Chair the meeting when so directed by the agency head; and
- Maintain meeting records for availability to the public; and provide copies of Council reports to appropriate Congressional and agency officials and to the Committee Management Officer for forwarding to the Library of Congress officials.
ESTIMATED NUMBER AND FREQUENCY OF MEETINGS
The Council and any subcommittee will meet approximately twice a year. The DFO sets the agenda for the meeting in consultation with the Chairperson. A quorum of the membership must be present to conduct committee business. Meetings are open to the public, except as may be determined otherwise by the Department of Education’s Office of the General Counsel in accordance with §10(d) of the FACA.
The duration of the Council within the meaning of §§14(a), 14(b), and 14(c) of FACA is continuing as provided by its enabling legislation.
MEMBERSHIP AND DESIGNATION
The Council consists of fifteen members who are Indian (including Alaska Native) as defined in 20 U.S.C. §7491(3), and are appointed by the President from lists of nominees furnished, from time to time, by Indian tribes and organizations. The fifteen members represent different geographic areas of the United States. These members serve as Special Government Employees (SGEs), as defined in 18 U.S.C. §202(a). The SGEs provide advice and recommendations based on the member’s judgment formed by their expertise and experience.
The Department of Education may establish such subcommittees as it deems necessary to carry out the duties of the Council. The DFO keeps the Department of Education’s Committee Management Officer informed of the subcommittee structure, including membership, functions, and estimated frequency of meetings.
The records of the Advisory Board will be handled in accordance with the National Archives and Records Administration’s General Records Schedule 6.2. The records shall be made available for public inspection and copying, subject to the Freedom of Information Act, 5 U.S.C. § 552.
This charter will terminate two years from the filing date, and the Council will be deemed administratively inactive if the charter is not renewed. The Council will not meet without a filed charter in accordance with 5 U.S.C. App. 2, § 9(i) and 41 CFR §102-3.75(a)(9).
/s/ Secretary June 18, 2018
Establishment Date: March 26, 1979
Filing Date: June 18, 2018
- National Advisory Council on Indian Education 2018 Public Meeting, April 17, 2018, Washington, DC PDF (600K)
- National Advisory Council on Indian Education 2018 Public Meeting, April 16, 2018, Washington, DC PDF (880K)
- National Advisory Council on Indian Education 2016 Public Meeting, September 29, 2016, Washington, DC PDF (606K)
- National Advisory Council on Indian Education 2016 Public Meeting, September 28, 2016, Washington, DC PDF (606K)
- National Advisory Council on Indian Education 2016 Public Meeting, August 25, 2016, Washington, DC PDF (128K)
- National Advisory Council on Indian Education 2015 Public Meeting, September 25, 2015, Washington, DC PDF (73K)
- National Advisory Council on Indian Education 2015 Public Meeting, June 2, 2015, Washington, DC PDF (394K)
- National Advisory Council on Indian Education 2015 Public Meeting, June 1, 2015, Washington, DC PDF (688K)
- National Advisory Council on Indian Education Annual Report FY 2016 PDF (233K) (November 9, 2016)
- National Advisory Council on Indian Education Annual Report FY 2014-2015 PDF (144K) (November 13, 2015)
- National Advisory Council on Indian Education Annual Report FY 2012-2013 PDF (4,505K) (July 16, 2013)
- National Advisory Council on Indian Education Annual Report FY 2011-2012 PDF (315K) (October 24, 2012)