National Advisory Council on Indian Education – OIE (NACIE)
- Dr. Deborah Jackson-Dennison (Chair) Navajo Nation, Arizona
- Chief Phyliss J. Anderson Mississippi Band of Choctaw Indians, Mississippi
- Dr. Theresa Arevgaq John Yup’ik, Alaska
- Doreen Brown Yup’ik, Alaska
- Robin Butterfield Winnebago/Chippewa, Oregon
- Aaron Payment Chippewa, Michigan
- Joely Proudfit Luiseño/Payómkawichum, California
- Mandy Smoker-Broaddus Fort Peck Assiniboine Sioux, Montana
- Virginia Thomas Muscogee Nation, Oklahoma
- Patricia Whitefoot Yakama Nation, Washington
To contact a NACIE member, please send your message to them via their Designated Federal Official (DFO), Donna Sabis-Burns at firstname.lastname@example.org
National Advisory Council on Indian Education
The National Advisory Council on Indian Education (Council) is authorized by §6141 of the Elementary and Secondary Education Act of 1965 (ESEA), 20 U.S.C. §7471. The Council is governed by Section 3 of Executive Order 14049 and the provisions of the Federal Advisory Committee Act (FACA), 5 U.S.C. App. 2.
OBJECTIVE AND SCOPE OF ACTIVITIES
The Council’s objective is to fulfil its legal obligations as listed in the section below.
DESCRIPTION OF DUTIES
The Council will:
- Advise the Secretary of Education (Secretary) and the Secretary of the Interior concerning the funding and administration (including the development of regulations and administrative policies and practices) of any program, including any program established under Title VI, Part A of the ESEA, with respect to which the Secretary has jurisdiction and (a) that includes Indian children or adults as participants or (b) that may benefit Indian children or adults;
- Make recommendations to the Secretary for filling the position of the Director of Indian Education whenever a vacancy occurs;
- Submit to the Congress, not later than June 30 of each year, a report on the activities of the Council, including any recommendations the Council considers appropriate for the improvement of Federal education programs that include Indian children or adults as participants or that may benefit Indian children or adults and recommendations concerning the funding of any such program;
- Serve as the advisory council for the White House Initiative on Advancing Educational Equity, Excellence, and Economic Opportunity for Native Americans and Strengthening Tribal Colleges and Universities (Initiative) in accordance with Section 3 of Executive Order 14049; and
- Consistent with the duties set forth in Section 6141(b)(1) of the ESEA and in consultation with the Initiative, advise the Co-Chairs of the Initiative (the Secretaries of Education, Interior, and Labor) on:
- What is needed for the development, implementation, and coordination of educational programs and initiatives to improve educational opportunities and outcomes for Native Americans;
- How to promote career pathways for in-demand jobs for Native American students, including registered apprenticeships as well as internships, fellowships, mentorships, and work-based learning initiatives;
- Ways to strengthen Tribal Colleges and Universities (TCUs) and increase their participation in agency programs;
- How to increase public awareness of, and generate solutions for, the educational and training challenges and equity disparities that Native American students face and the causes of these challenges and disparities;
- Approaches to establish local and national partnerships with public, private, philanthropic, and nonprofit stakeholders to advance the policy set forth in Section 1 of Executive Order 14049, consistent with applicable law; and
- Actions for promoting, improving, and expanding educational opportunities for Native languages, traditions, and practices to be sustained through culturally responsive education.
- The Council and the Executive Director of the Initiative (Executive Director) shall, as appropriate and consistent with applicable law, facilitate frequent collaborations between the Initiative and Tribal Nations, Alaska Native Entities, and other Tribal organizations.
- The Council shall consult with the Executive Director so the Executive Director can address the Council’s efforts pursuant to Subsection (a) of Section 3 of Executive Order 14049 in the annual report of the Initiative submitted to the President.
OFFICIAL TO WHOM COMMITTEE REPORTS
The Council shall advise the Secretary and the Secretary of the Interior and shall report to the Initiative through, and as requested by, the Executive Director.
The Department of Education shall provide support for the Council.
ESTIMATED ANNUAL STAFFING AND OPERATING COSTS
The estimated annual cost for operating the Council is $179,000. This includes compensation, travel, per diem, and other operating expenses for members at an annual cost of approximately $84,000. Additionally, the estimated cost for staff support is 1.0 full-time equivalent (FTE) at a cost of $95,000.00 per year.
DESIGNATED FEDERAL OFFICIAL (DFO)
The Assistant Secretary for Elementary and Secondary Education shall designate a full-time or permanent part-time employee in accordance with agency procedures to serve as the Designated Federal Official for the Council.
The DFO shall:
- Approve or call the meeting of the advisory committee or subcommittee;
- Approve the agenda for all Council meetings;
- Attend all advisory and subcommittee meetings;
- Adjourn any meeting when he or she determines it to be in the public interest;
- Chair the meeting when so directed by the agency head;
- Maintain meeting records for availability to the public; and
- Provide copies of Council reports to appropriate Congressional and agency officials and to the Committee Management Officer for forwarding to the Library of Congress officials.
ESTIMATED NUMBER AND FREQUENCY OF MEETINGS
The Council will meet approximately twice a year. The DFO sets the agenda for the meeting in consultation with the Chairperson. A quorum of the membership must be present to conduct committee business. Meetings are open to the public, except as may be determined otherwise by the Department of Education’s Office of the General Counsel in accordance with Section 10(d) of FACA.
The duration of the Council is continuing.
This charter will terminate two years from the filing date.
MEMBERSHIP AND DESIGNATION
The Council consists of 15 members who are Indian (including Alaska Native) as defined in 20 U.S.C. §7491(3), who shall be appointed by the President from lists of nominees furnished, from time to time, by Indian tribes and organizations. The 15 members represent different geographic areas of the United States. Per Executive Order 14049, to the extent appropriate and consistent with applicable law, the Council shall include members from across the education spectrum, including members who can provide specific expertise on issues concerning TCUs and other Native American-serving institutions, K-12 and early childhood education, special education, and vocational education. These members serve as Special Government Employees (SGEs), as defined in 18 U.S.C. 202. SGEs provide advice and recommendations based on the members’ judgment formed by their expertise and experience.
The Council may establish, subject to the Department of Education’s approval, such
subcommittees as it deems necessary to carry out the duties of the Council. The DFO keeps the Department of Education’s Committee Management Officer apprised of the subcommittee structure, including membership, functions, and estimated frequency of meetings. Each subcommittee will report to the full Council preliminary findings and recommendations for deliberation and discussion by the full Council.
The records of the Council will be handled in accordance with the National Archives and Records Administration’s General Records Schedule 6.2. The records shall be made available for public inspection and copying, subject to the Freedom of Information Act, 5 U.S.C. 552.
Meeting Notices and Transcripts
- National Advisory Council on Indian Education 2022 Public Meeting, April 26-27, 2022, virtual event
- National Advisory Council on Indian Education 2021 Public Meeting, December 13, 2021, virtual event
- National Advisory Council on Indian Education 2021 Public Meeting, November 2, 2021, virtual event
- National Advisory Council on Indian Education 2020 Public Meeting, December 18, 2020, virtual event
- National Advisory Council on Indian Education 2020 Public Meeting, October 23, 2020, virtual event
- National Advisory Council on Indian Education 2020 Meeting, May 27, 2020, virtual event
- Closed Meeting Notice PDF (234K)
- National Advisory Council on Indian Education 2018 Public Meeting, February 13-14, 2020, Washington,
- National Advisory Council on Indian Education 2018 Public Meeting, September 11-12, 2019, Washington, DC
- National Advisory Council on Indian Education 2018 Public Meeting, July 26, 2019, virtual event
- Public Meeting Notice PDF (289K)
- National Advisory Council on Indian Education 2018 Public Meeting, April 25-26, 2019, virtual event
- National Advisory Council on Indian Education 2018 Public/Closed Meeting, December 17, 2018, Washington, DC
- Public/Closed Meeting Notice PDF (201K)
- National Advisory Council on Indian Education 2018 Public Meeting, April 16-17, 2018, Washington, DC
- National Advisory Council on Indian Education 2018 Public/Closed Meeting, November 29-30, 2016, Washington, DC
- Public Meeting Notice PDF (194K)
- National Advisory Council on Indian Education 2016 Public Meeting, September 28-29, 2016, Washington, DC
- National Advisory Council on Indian Education 2016 Public Meeting, August 25, 2016, teleconference
- National Advisory Council on Indian Education Annual Report FY 2020-2021 PDF (2MB) (December 23, 2021)
- National Advisory Council on Indian Education Annual Report FY 2019-2020 PDF (December 18, 2020)
- National Advisory Council on Indian Education Annual Report FY 2018-2019 PDF (794K) (September 12, 2019)
- National Advisory Council on Indian Education Annual Report FY 2017-2018 PDF
- National Advisory Council on Indian Education Annual Report FY 2016-2017 PDF (Inactive)
- National Advisory Council on Indian Education Annual Report FY 2015-2016 PDF (233K) (November 9, 2016)
- National Advisory Council on Indian Education Annual Report FY 2014-2015 PDF (144K) (November 13, 2015)
- National Advisory Council on Indian Education Annual Report FY 2012-2013 PDF (4,505K) (July 16, 2013)
- National Advisory Council on Indian Education Annual Report FY 2011-2012 PDF (315K) (October 24, 2012)