Office of Indian Education
Click here to review the NIES 2019 Report! Members of the NIES Technical Review Panel also released a companion document: Setting the Context which provides overarching recommendations and a perspective of how NIES fits in the larger sphere of education for AI/AN Students. More information on the NIES can be found here.
Tribal Consultation Meeting Transcripts available. Click here!
The U.S. Office of Indian Education (OIE) administers the Indian Education Program of ESEA, as amended by ESSA (Title VI, Part A), which establishes policies and provides financial and technical assistance for supporting LEAs, Indian Tribes and organizations, post- secondary institutions and other entities in meeting the special educational and cultural related academic needs of American Indians and Alaska Natives, 20 U.S.C. 3423c and 7401 et. seq. The OIE is headed by a Director who reports to the Assistant Secretary and who advises the Assistant Secretary on matters related to the programs administered by OIE.
The OIE has three primary responsibilities:
- To meet the unique educational and culturally related academic needs of Indian students, so that such students can meet the challenging State academic standards;
- To ensure that Indian students gain knowledge and understanding of Native communities, languages, Tribal histories, traditions, and cultures; and
- To ensure that teachers, principals, other school leaders, and other staff who serve Indian students have the ability to provide culturally appropriate and effective instruction and supports to such students.
The OIE is divided into three programming subparts:
- Subpart 1 – Formula Grants to Local Educational Agencies
- Subpart 2 – Special Programs and Projects for Indian Children “Discretionary Grants”
- Subpart 3 – National Activities
Indian Education Professional Development Grant: Graduate Images
2021 Native American Early Learning Project (NALEP) II Graduates (some not pictured)
*Photo provided and approved for use by the University of Mary
Select each program below to learn more.