Table of contents of Elementary and Secondary Education Act of 1965.
- TITLE I: IMPROVING THE ACADEMIC ACHIEVEMENT OF THE DISADVANTAGED
- PART A: IMPROVING BASIC PROGRAMS OPERATED BY LOCAL EDUCATIONAL AGENCIES
- PART B: STATE ASSESSMENT GRANTS
- PART C: EDUCATION OF MIGRATORY CHILDREN
- PART D: PREVENTION AND INTERVENTION PROGRAMS FOR CHILDREN AND YOUTH WHO ARE NEGLECTED, DELINQUENT, OR AT RISK
- PART E: FLEXIBILITY FOR EQUITABLE PER-PUPIL FUNDING
- PART F: GENERAL PROVISIONS
TITLE II: PREPARING, TRAINING, AND RECRUITING HIGH-QUALITY TEACHERS, PRINCIPALS, OR OTHER SCHOOL LEADERS
- TITLE IV: 21st CENTURY SCHOOLS
- TITLE VIII: GENERAL PROVISIONS
- PART A: DEFINITIONS
- PART B: FLEXIBILITY IN THE USE OF ADMINISTRATIVE AND OTHER FUNDS
- PART C: COORDINATION OF PROGRAMS; CONSOLIDATED STATE AND LOCAL PLANS AND APPLICATIONS
- PART D: WAIVERS
- PART E: APPROVAL AND DISAPPROVAL OF STATE PLANS AND LOCAL APPLICATIONS
- PART F: UNIFORM PROVISIONS
- PART G: EVALUATIONS
The Elementary and Secondary Education Act of 1965, as amended through P.L. 115-224 [1.09 MB]
Disclaimer: This website is based on text downloaded from the House Office of Legislative Counsel. While this publication does not represent the official version of the ESSA, substantial efforts have been made to ensure the accuracy of its contents. The official version of the ESSA is found in the United States Statutes at Large and in the United States Code. The legal effect to be given to the Statutes at Large and the United States Code is established by statute (1 U.S.C. 112, 204).
Elementary and Secondary Education Act of 1965
[As Amended Through P.L. 115–224, Enacted July 31, 2018]
SECTION 1. [20 U.S.C. 6301 note] SHORT TITLE.
This Act may be cited as the ”Elementary and Secondary Education Act of 1965”.
SEC. 2. TABLE OF CONTENTS.
The table of contents for this Act is as follows:
TITLE I—IMPROVING THE ACADEMIC ACHIEVEMENT OF THE DISADVANTAGED
- Sec. 1001. Statement of purpose.
- Sec. 1002. Authorization of appropriations.
- Sec. 1003. School improvement.
- Sec. 1003A. Direct student services.
- Sec. 1004. State administration.
PART A—IMPROVING BASIC PROGRAMS OPERATED BY LOCAL EDUCATIONAL AGENCIES
Subpart 1—Basic Program Requirements
- Sec. 1111. State plans.
- Sec. 1112. Local educational agency plans.
- Sec. 1113. Eligible school attendance areas.
- Sec. 1114. Schoolwide programs.
- Sec. 1115. Targeted assistance schools.
- Sec. 1116. Parent and family engagement.
- Sec. 1117. Participation of children enrolled in private schools.
- Sec. 1118. Fiscal requirements.
- Sec. 1119. Coordination requirements.
- Sec. 1121. Grants for the outlying areas and the Secretary of the Interior.
- Sec. 1122. Allocations to States.
- Sec. 1124. Basic grants to local educational agencies.
- Sec. 1124A. Concentration grants to local educational agencies.
- Sec. 1125. Targeted grants to local educational agencies.
- Sec. 1125AA. Adequacy of funding to local educational agencies in fiscal years after fiscal year 2001.
- Sec. 1125A. Education finance incentive grant program.
- Sec. 1126. Special allocation procedures.
- Sec. 1127. Carryover and waiver.
PART B—STATE ASSESSMENT GRANTS
- Sec. 1201. Grants for State assessments and related activities.
- Sec. 1202. State option to conduct assessment system audit.
- Sec. 1203. Allotment of appropriated funds.
- Sec. 1204. Innovative assessment and accountability demonstration authority.
PART C—EDUCATION OF MIGRATORY CHILDREN
- Sec. 1301. Program purposes.
- Sec. 1302. Program authorized.
- Sec. 1303. State allocations.
- Sec. 1304. State applications; services.
- Sec. 1305. Secretarial approval; peer review.
- Sec. 1306. Comprehensive needs assessment and service-delivery plan; authorized activities.
- Sec. 1307. Bypass.
- Sec. 1308. Coordination of migrant education activities.
- Sec. 1309. Definitions.
PART D—PREVENTION AND INTERVENTION PROGRAMS FOR CHILDREN AND YOUTH WHO ARE NEGLECTED, DELINQUENT, OR AT-RISK
Subpart 1—State Agency Programs
- Sec. 1411. Eligibility.
- Sec. 1412. Allocation of funds.
- Sec. 1413. State reallocation of funds.
- Sec. 1414. State plan and State agency applications.
- Sec. 1415. Use of funds.
- Sec. 1416. Institution-wide projects.
- Sec. 1417. Three-year programs or projects.
- Sec. 1418. Transition services.
- Sec. 1419. Technical assistance.
Subpart 2—Local Agency Programs
PART E—FLEXIBILITY FOR EQUITABLE PER-PUPIL FUNDING
PART F—GENERAL PROVISIONS
- Sec. 1601. Federal regulations.
- Sec. 1602. Agreements and records.
- Sec. 1603. State Administration.
- Sec. 1604. Prohibition Against Federal Mandates, Direction, Or Control.
- Sec. 1605. Rule of Construction on Equalized Spending.
TITLE II—PREPARING, TRAINING, AND RECRUITING HIGH-QUALITY TEACHERS, PRINCIPALS, AND OTHER SCHOOL LEADERS
Sec. 2002. Definitions.
Sec. 2003. Authorization of appropriations.
PART A—SUPPORTING EFFECTIVE INSTRUCTION
- Sec. 2101. Formula grants to States.
- Sec. 2102. Subgrants to local educational agencies.
- Sec. 2103. Local uses of funds.
- Sec. 2104. Reporting.
PART B—NATIONAL ACTIVITIES
Subpart 2—Literacy Education for All, Results for the Nation
- Sec. 2221. Purposes; definitions.
- Sec. 2222. Comprehensive literacy State development grants.
- Sec. 2223. Subgrants to eligible entities in support of birth through kindergarten entry literacy.
- Sec. 2224. Subgrants to eligible entities in support of kindergarten through grade 12 literacy.
- Sec. 2225. National evaluation and information dissemination.
- Sec. 2226. Innovative approaches to literacy.
Subpart 4—Programs of National Significance
PART C—GENERAL PROVISIONS
TITLE III—LANGUAGE INSTRUCTION FOR ENGLISH LEARNERS AND IMMIGRANT STUDENTS
PART A—ENGLISH LANGUAGE ACQUISITION, LANGUAGE ENHANCEMENT, AND ACADEMIC ACHIEVEMENT ACT
Subpart 1—Grants and Subgrants for English Language Acquisition and Language Enhancement
Subpart 2—Accountability and Administration
PART B—GENERAL PROVISIONS
TITLE IV—21st CENTURY SCHOOLS
PART A—STUDENT SUPPORT AND ACADEMIC ENRICHMENT GRANTS
Subpart 1—Student Support and Academic Enrichment Grants
- Sec. 4101. Purpose.
- Sec. 4102. Definitions.
- Sec. 4103. Formula grants to States.
- Sec. 4104. State use of funds.
- Sec. 4105. Allocations to local educational agencies.
- Sec. 4106. Local educational agency applications.
- Sec. 4107. Activities to support well-rounded educational opportunities.
- Sec. 4108. Activities to support safe and healthy students.
- Sec. 4109. Activities to support the effective use of technology.
- Sec. 4110. Supplement, not supplant.
- Sec. 4111. Rule of construction.
- Sec. 4112. Authorization of appropriations.
Subpart 2—Internet Safety
PART B—21st CENTURY COMMUNITY LEARNING CENTERS
- Sec. 4201. Purpose; definitions.
- Sec. 4202. Allotments to States.
- Sec. 4203. State application.
- Sec. 4204. Local competitive subgrant program.
- Sec. 4205. Local activities.
- Sec. 4206. Authorization of appropriations.
PART C—EXPANDING OPPORTUNITY THROUGH QUALITY CHARTER SCHOOLS
- Sec. 4301. Purpose.
- Sec. 4302. Program authorized.
- Sec. 4303. Grants to support high-quality charter schools.
- Sec. 4304. Facilities financing assistance.
- Sec. 4305. National activities.
- Sec. 4306. Federal formula allocation during first year and for successive enrollment expansions.
- Sec. 4307. Solicitation of input from charter school operators.
- Sec. 4308. Records transfer.
- Sec. 4309. Paperwork reduction.
- Sec. 4310. Definitions.
- Sec. 4311. Authorization of appropriations.
PART D—MAGNET SCHOOLS ASSISTANCE
- Sec. 4401. Findings and purpose.
- Sec. 4402. Definition.
- Sec. 4403. Program authorized.
- Sec. 4404. Eligibility.
- Sec. 4405. Applications and requirements.
- Sec. 4406. Priority.
- Sec. 4407. Use of funds.
- Sec. 4408. Limitations.
- Sec. 4409. Authorization of appropriations; reservation.
PART E—FAMILY ENGAGEMENT IN EDUCATION PROGRAMS
- Sec. 4501. Purposes.
- Sec. 4502. Grants authorized.
- Sec. 4503. Applications.
- Sec. 4504. Uses of funds.
- Sec. 4505. Family engagement in Indian schools.
- Sec. 4506. Authorization of appropriations.
PART F—NATIONAL ACTIVITIES
Subpart 4—Academic Enrichment
TITLE V—FLEXIBILITY AND ACCOUNTABILITY
PART A—FUNDING TRANSFERABILITY FOR STATE AND LOCAL EDUCATIONAL AGENCIES
PART B—RURAL EDUCATION INITIATIVE
Subpart 3—General Provisions
PART C—GENERAL PROVISIONS
- Sec. 5301. Prohibition against Federal mandates, direction, or control.
- Sec. 5302. Rule of construction on equalized spending.
TITLE VI—INDIAN, NATIVE HAWAIIAN, AND ALASKA NATIVE EDUCATION
PART A—INDIAN EDUCATION
Subpart 1—Formula Grants to Local Educational Agencies
- Sec. 6111. Purpose.
- Sec. 6112. Grants to local educational agencies and tribes.
- Sec. 6113. Amount of grants.
- Sec. 6114. Applications.
- Sec. 6115. Authorized services and activities.
- Sec. 6116. Integration of services authorized.
- Sec. 6117. Student eligibility forms.
- Sec. 6118. Payments.
- Sec. 6119. State educational agency review.
Subpart 5—Definitions; Authorizations of Appropriations
PART B—NATIVE HAWAIIAN EDUCATION
- Sec. 6201. Short title.
- Sec. 6202. Findings.
- Sec. 6203. Purposes.
- Sec. 6204. Native Hawaiian Education Council.
- Sec. 6205. Program authorized.
- Sec. 6206. Administrative provisions.
- Sec. 6207. Definitions.
PART C—ALASKA NATIVE EDUCATION
- Sec. 6301. Short title.
- Sec. 6302. Findings.
- Sec. 6303. Purposes.
- Sec. 6304. Program authorized.
- Sec. 6305. Administrative provisions.
- Sec. 6306. Definitions.
TITLE VII—IMPACT AID
- Sec. 7001. Purpose.
- Sec. 7002. Payments relating to Federal acquisition of real property.
- Sec. 7003. Payments for eligible federally connected children.
- Sec. 7004. Policies and procedures relating to children residing on Indian lands.
- Sec. 7005. Application for payments under sections 7002 and 7003.
- Sec. 7007. Construction.
- Sec. 7008. Facilities.
- Sec. 7009. State consideration of payments in providing State aid.
- Sec. 7010. Federal administration.
- Sec. 7011. Administrative hearings and judicial review.
- Sec. 7012. Forgiveness of overpayments.
- Sec. 7013. Definitions.
- Sec. 7014. Authorization of appropriations.
TITLE VIII—GENERAL PROVISIONS
- Sec. 8101. Definitions.
- Sec. 8102. Applicability of title.
- Sec. 8103. Applicability to Bureau of Indian Education operated schools.
PART B—FLEXIBILITY IN THE USE OF ADMINISTRATIVE AND OTHER FUNDS
- Sec. 8201. Consolidation of State administrative funds for elementary and secondary education programs.
- Sec. 8202. Single local educational agency States.
- Sec. 8203. Consolidation of funds for local administration.
- Sec. 8204. Consolidated set-aside for Department of the Interior funds.
- Sec. 8205. Department staff.
PART C—COORDINATION OF PROGRAMS; CONSOLIDATED STATE AND LOCAL PLANS AND APPLICATIONS
- Sec. 8301. Purposes.
- Sec. 8302. Optional consolidated State plans or applications.
- Sec. 8303. Consolidated reporting.
- Sec. 8304. General applicability of State educational agency assurances.
- Sec. 8305. Consolidated local plans or applications.
- Sec. 8306. Other general assurances.
PART E—APPROVAL AND DISAPPROVAL OF STATE PLANS AND LOCAL APPLICATIONS
- Sec. 8451. Approval and disapproval of State plans.
- Sec. 8452. Approval and disapproval of local educational agency applications.
PART F—UNIFORM PROVISIONS
Subpart 1—Private Schools
- Sec. 8501. Participation by private school children and teachers.
- Sec. 8502. Standards for by-pass.
- Sec. 8503. Complaint process for participation of private school children.
- Sec. 8504. By-pass determination process.
- Sec. 8505. Prohibition against funds for religious worship or instruction.
- Sec. 8506. Private, religious, and home schools.
Subpart 2—Other Provisions
- Sec. 8521. Maintenance of effort.
- Sec. 8522. Prohibition regarding State aid.
- Sec. 8523. Privacy of assessment results.
- Sec. 8524. School prayer.
- Sec. 8525. Equal access to public school facilities.
- Sec. 8526. Prohibited uses of funds
- Sec. 8526A. Prohibition against Federal mandates, direction, or control.
- Sec. 8527. Prohibitions on Federal Government and use of Federal funds.
- Sec. 8528. Armed Forces recruiter access to students and student recruiting information.
- Sec. 8529. Prohibition on federally sponsored testing.
- Sec. 8530. Limitations on national testing or certification for teachers, principals, or other school leaders.
- Sec. 8530A. Prohibition on requiring State participation.
- Sec. 8531. Prohibition on nationwide database.
- Sec. 8532. Unsafe school choice option.
- Sec. 8533. Prohibition on discrimination.
- Sec. 8534. Civil rights.
- Sec. 8535. Rulemaking.
- Sec. 8536. Severability.
- Sec. 8537. Transfer of school disciplinary records.
- Sec. 8538. Consultation with Indian tribes and tribal organizations.
- Sec. 8539. Outreach and technical assistance for rural local educational agencies.
- Sec. 8540. Consultation with the Governor.
- Sec. 8541. Local governance.
- Sec. 8542. Rule of construction regarding travel to and from school.
- Sec. 8543. Limitations on school-based health centers.
- Sec. 8544. State control over standards.
- Sec. 8545. Sense of Congress on protecting student privacy.
- Sec. 8546. Prohibition on aiding and abetting sexual abuse.
- Sec. 8547. Sense of Congress on restoration of State sovereignty over public education.
- Sec. 8548. Privacy.
- Sec. 8549. Analysis and periodic review of departmental guidance.
- Sec. 8549A. Sense of Congress.
- Sec. 8549B. Sense of Congress on early learning and child care.
Sec. 8549C. Technical assistance.
Subpart 3—Teacher Liability Protection
Subpart 5—Environmental Tobacco Smoke