Charter Schools Program (CSP) Grants to Charter School Developers for the Opening of New Charter Schools and for the Replication and Expansion of High-Quality Charter Schools
84.282B and 84.282E
Discretionary/ Competitive Grants
FY 2023 Developer Grants Competition – New Awards Announced
On September 29, 2023, the U.S. Department of Education awarded approximately $9.5 million in new grant funds to 14 charter school developers across the country to open, replicate, and expand charter schools through the Fiscal Year (FY) 2023 Expanding Opportunity Through Quality Charter Schools Program (CSP) – Grants to Charter School Developers for the Opening of New Charter Schools and for the Replication and Expansion of High-Quality Charter Schools (Developer Grants) program.
For more information about the FY 2023 CSP Developer Grants competition, which closed on July 7, 2023, please visit the FY 2023 CSP Developer Grants Competition webpage.
For information about the new awards and previous awards, please visit the Awards webpage.
The major purposes of the CSP are to:
- expand opportunities for all students, particularly traditionally underserved students, to attend charter schools and meet challenging State academic standards;
- provide financial assistance for the planning, program design, and initial implementation of public charter schools;
- increase the number of high-quality charter schools available to students across the United States;
- evaluate the impact of charter schools on student achievement, families, and communities;
- share best practices between charter schools and other public schools;
- aid States in providing facilities support to charter schools; and
- support efforts to strengthen the charter school authorizing process.
Through CSP Developer Grants, the Department provides financial assistance to charter school developers to enable them to open and prepare for the operation of new or replicated charter schools or to expand high-quality charter schools in States that do not currently have a CSP State Entity grant (ALN 84.282A) under the ESEA. Funding is awarded under two types of grants: (1) opening of new charter schools (ALN 84.282B) and (2) replication and expansion of high-quality charter schools (ALN 84.282E). Charter schools that receive financial assistance through CSP Developer Grants provide elementary or secondary education programs, or both, and may also serve students in early childhood education programs or postsecondary students.