Legislation, Regulations and Guidance
President Obama signed the Every Student Succeeds Act into law on December 10, 2015.
ESSA includes provisions that will help to ensure success for students and schools. Below are just a few. The law:
- Advances equity by upholding critical protections for America’s disadvantaged and high-need students.
- Requires—for the first time—that all students in America be taught to high academic standards that will prepare them to succeed in college and careers.
- Ensures that vital information is provided to educators, families, students, and communities through annual statewide assessments that measure students’ progress toward those high standards.
- Helps to support and grow local innovations—including evidence-based and place-based interventions developed by local leaders and educators—consistent with our Promise Neighborhoods
- Sustains and expands this administration’s historic investments in increasing access to high-quality preschool.
- Maintains an expectation that there will be accountability and action to effect positive change in our lowest-performing schools, where groups of students are not making progress, and where graduation rates are low over extended periods of time.
- Elementary and Secondary Education Act of 1965 (ESEA), amended as the Every Student Succeeds Act (ESSA), 2015: https://www.congress.gov/114/plaws/publ95/PLAW-114publ95.pdf
- Elementary and Secondary Education Act of 1965, as amended, Title VII, Part A, Subpart 1; 20 U.S.C. 7421-7429, 7491-7492
- Uniform Administrative and Cost Principles, 2 CFR part 200 – Electronic Code of Federal Regulations (eCFR) link: https://www.ecfr.gov/cgi-bin/text-idx?SID=6214841a79953f26c5c230d72d6b70a1&tpl=/ecfrbrowse/Title02/2cfr200_main_02.tpl
Other Applicable Grant Regulations
- 34 CFR part 75— Direct Grant Programs: https://www.ecfr.gov/cgi-bin/text-idx?SID=393301a7cdccca1ea71f18aae51824e7&node=34:22.214.171.124.22&rgn=div5
- Electronic Grant Award Notice (GAN) Information for Grantees Webinar
- Federal Register https://www.federalregister.gov/
- SAM.gov (login and password set up required) https://sam.gov/content/home
- G5 – Grant’s Management System: https://www.g5.gov/EDIDMApp/adAuthentication/adLogin.action
- EASIE CoP Communities360° – Home > Overview > Announcements (ed.gov)
- OESE Every Student Succeeds Act: https://oese.ed.gov/offices/office-of-formula-grants/school-support-and-accountability/the-elementary-secondary-education-act-the-every-student-succeeds-act-of-2016/every-student-succeeds-act-essa/
- OIE Flexibilities:
- FY19 https://oese.ed.gov/files/2020/05/OIE-TVI-Flexibilities.pdf.
- FY20 OIE Formula Flexibilities FY 20 210624 1337 V3 pdf link
- OIE Annual Federal Register Notice