Subpart 3 – National Activities
SEC. 7141. NATIONAL ADVISORY COUNCIL ON INDIAN EDUCATION.
- (a) MEMBERSHIP- There is established a National Advisory Council on Indian Education (hereafter in this section referred to as the Council’), which shall —
- (1) consist of 15 Indian members, who shall be appointed by the President from lists of nominees furnished, from time to time, by Indian tribes and organizations; and
- (2) represent different geographic areas of the United States.
- (b) DUTIES- The Council shall —
- (1) advise the Secretary concerning the funding and administration (including the development of regulations and administrative policies and practices) of any program, including any program established under this part —
- (A) with respect to which the Secretary has jurisdiction; and
- (B)(i) that includes Indian children or adults as participants; or
- (ii) that may benefit Indian children or adults;
- (2) make recommendations to the Secretary for filling the position of Director of Indian Education whenever a vacancy occurs; and
- (3) submit to Congress, not later than June 30 of each year, a report on the activities of the Council, including —
- (A) any recommendations that the Council considers appropriate for the improvement of Federal education programs that include Indian children or adults as participants, or that may benefit Indian children or adults; and
- (B) recommendations concerning the funding of any program described in subparagraph (A).
SEC. 7142. PEER REVIEW.
- The Secretary may use a peer review process to review applications submitted to the Secretary under subpart 2 or subpart 3.
SEC. 7143. PREFERENCE FOR INDIAN APPLICANTS.
- In making grants and entering into contracts or cooperative agreements under subpart 2 or subpart 3, the Secretary shall give a preference to Indian tribes, organizations, and institutions of higher education under any program with respect to which Indian tribes, organizations, and institutions are eligible to apply for grants, contracts, or cooperative agreements.
SEC. 7144. MINIMUM GRANT CRITERIA.
- The Secretary may not approve an application for a grant, contract, or cooperative agreement under subpart 2 or subpart 3 unless the application is for a grant, contract, or cooperative agreement that is —
- (1) of sufficient size, scope, and quality to achieve the purpose or objectives of such grant, contract, or cooperative agreement; and
- (2) based on relevant research findings.
|Previous||Table of Contents||Next|