Part B – Improving Language Instruction Educational Programs
SEC. 3201. SHORT TITLE.
- This part may be cited as the ‘Improving Language Instruction Educational Programs For Academic Achievement Act’.
SEC. 3202. PURPOSE.
- The purpose of this part is to help ensure that limited English proficient children master English and meet the same rigorous standards for academic achievement as all children are expected to meet, including meeting challenging State academic content and student academic achievement standards by —
- (1) promoting systemic improvement and reform of, and developing accountability systems for, educational programs serving limited English proficient children;
- (2) developing language skills and multicultural understanding;
- (3) developing the English proficiency of limited English proficient children and, to the extent possible, the native language skills of such children;
- (4) providing similar assistance to Native Americans with certain modifications relative to the unique status of Native American languages under Federal law;
- (5) developing data collection and dissemination, research, materials, and technical assistance that are focused on school improvement for limited English proficient children; and
- (6) developing programs that strengthen and improve the professional training of educational personnel who work with limited English proficient children.
SEC. 3203. NATIVE AMERICAN CHILDREN IN SCHOOL.
- (a) ELIGIBLE ENTITIES- For the purpose of carrying out programs under this part for individuals served by elementary schools, secondary schools, and postsecondary schools operated predominately for Native American (including Alaska Native) children and youth, an Indian tribe, a tribally sanctioned educational authority, a Native Hawaiian or Native American Pacific Islander native language education organization, or an elementary school or secondary school that is operated or funded by the Bureau of Indian Affairs shall be considered to be a local educational agency.
- (b) APPLICATION- Notwithstanding any other provision of this part, each tribe, authority, organization, or school described in subsection (a) shall submit any application for assistance under this part directly to the Secretary along with timely comments on the need for the program proposed in the application.
SEC. 3204. RESIDENTS OF THE TERRITORIES AND FREELY ASSOCIATED STATES.
- For the purpose of carrying out programs under this part in the outlying areas, the term local educational agency’ includes public institutions or agencies whose mission is the preservation and maintenance of native languages.
|Previous||Table of Contents||Next|