Tag Archives: Federal Government


Legislation, Regulations and Guidance


Impact Aid Program Legislation (Note: this link goes to a PDF copy of the legislation.)



Impact Aid Program Regulations (Note: this link goes to PDF copy of the regulation.

Final Rule September 20, 2016 (Note: this link goes to the GPO website.)

Funding Status


Amount Available for Awards: $67,208,000
Estimated Number of Awards: 220
Average Award: $301,000
Range of Awards: $195 to $7,200,000


Appropriation: $66,208,000


Appropriation: $64,208,335


Appropriation: $64,350,000


Appropriation: $64,350,000


Appropriation: $62,496,000


A local educational agency (LEA) is generally eligible for section 7002 assistance if it meets the following basic requirements:

  1. The United States has acquired ownership of real property within the school district since 1938.
  2. Such property was not acquired by exchange for other Federal property that the Federal Government owned before 1939, or
  3. The assessed valuation of such property represented 10 percent or more of the total assessed valuation of all real property in the LEA at the time or times of Federal acquisition.

An LEA may base its eligibility on a former district contained within its boundaries.

The law provides a special exception for certain LEAs that meet the following criteria:

The LEA contains between 20,000 and 60,000 acres of land that has been acquired by the U. S. Forest Service between 1915 and 1990 as demonstrated by U.S. Forest Service records, and the LEA serves a county chartered by State law in 1875 or 1890.



Under Payments for Federal Property, approximately 250 LEAs receive Impact Aid payments for federal property annually. Payments generally are deposited in eligible LEAs’ general fund accounts and are used for general operating expenses such as teacher salaries, utilities, administrative costs, books, and supplies. Funding is not provided to private schools.

Applicant Information

Eligible local educational agencies that wish to apply for Impact Aid must apply online each year using the Impact Aid Grant System.

The application becomes available each year in November and must be submitted by the following January 31. There is no grace period for submitting required information. A potential applicant should review the Impact Aid Program law and regulations to determine if it might be eligible before applying for Impact Aid.

If you have questions about the application process, please call us at (202) 260-3858  or contact us by e-mail at Impact.Aid@ed.gov.

Survey Form and Source Check Definitions

  1. How does an LEA determine the number of federally connected children?

    An applicant counts the membership of its federally connected children by using one or both of the following methods:

    1. Parent-Pupil Survey

      1. An applicant may conduct a parent-pupil survey to count the membership of its federally connected children, which must be counted as of the survey date. The applicant shall conduct a parent-pupil survey by providing a form to a parent of each pupil enrolled in the LEA to substantiate the pupil’s place of residence and the parent’s place of employment. A parent-pupil survey form must include the following:

        1. Pupil enrollment information (this information may also be obtained from school records), including the following:

          1. Name of pupil

          2. Date of birth of the pupil

          3. Name of public school and grade of the pupil

        2. Pupil residence and parent employment information, including the following:

          1. Address of the pupil’s residence (or other location information for that residence, such as a legal description), including the name of the federal facility if the pupil resides on federal property.

          2. Name (as it appears on the employer’s payroll record) of the parent or other caretaker (mother, father, legal guardian or other person standing in loco parentis) who is employed on federal property and with whom the pupil resides (unless the parent is a member of the uniformed services on active duty).

          3. Name and address of the federal property on which the parent is employed (or other location information, such as a legal description), unless the parent is a member of the uniformed services on active duty.

          4. If the parent is a member of the uniformed services on active duty, the name, rank and branch of service of that parent.

          5. If the parent is a civilian employed on a federal vessel, the name of the vessel, hull number and name of the controlling agency.

          6. The signature of the parent supplying the information and the date of such signature.

          7. The name of the parent’s employer and the employer’s address (or other location information, such as a legal description), unless a parent is a member of the uniformed services on active duty.

      2. An LEA may accept a parent-pupil survey form, or a parent-pupil survey form that is signed by a person other than a parent, only under unusual circumstances. In those instances, the parent-pupil survey form must show why the parent did not sign the survey form, and when, how and from whom the residence and employment information was obtained.

    2. Source Check

      1. An applicant may count the membership of its federally connected children by using a source check to substantiate a pupil’s place of residence or parent’s place of employment on the survey date.

      2. A source check is a form provided to the following people:

        1. To a parent’s employer, who identifies the place of employment of a parent of a pupil claimed.

        2. To a housing official, who indicates the residence of each pupil claimed.

        3. To a tribal official, who states that each pupil claimed resides on Indian lands over which that tribal official has jurisdiction.

  2. What is the meaning of the term “parent employed on federal property”?

    1. The term refers to the following:

      1. An employee of the federal government who reports to work on, or whose place of work is located on, federal property.

      2. A person who is not employed by the federal government but who spends more than 50 percent of his or her working time on federal property (whether as an employee or self-employed) when engaged in farming, grazing, lumbering, mining or other operations that are authorized by the federal government, through a lease or other arrangement, to be carried out entirely or partly on federal property.

      3. A proportion, to be determined by the Secretary, based on persons working on commingled federal and non-federal properties other than those persons covered under paragraph (1)(ii) of this definition.

    2. The term does not refer to a person who reports to a work station that is not on federal property but who spends more than 50 percent of his working time on federal property providing services to operations or activities authorized to be carried out on federal property.

Source: 34 CFR Part 222 (September 29, 1995)