Subpart 19 – Grants for Capital Expenses of Providing Equitable Services for Private School Students
- The Secretary is authorized to provide additional assistance to meet special circumstances relating to the provision of education in local educational agencies eligible to receive assistance under section 8002.
- A local educational agency is eligible to receive additional assistance under this subpart only if such agency —
- (1) received a payment under both section 8002 and section 8003(b) for fiscal year 1996 and is eligible to receive payments under those sections for the year of application;
- (2) provided a free public education to children described under subparagraph (A), (B), or (D) of section 8003(a)(1);
- (3) had a military installation located within the geographic boundaries of the local educational agency that was closed as a result of base closure or realignment and, at the time at which the agency is applying for a payment under this subpart, the agency does not have a military installation located within its geographic boundaries;
- (4) remains responsible for the free public education of children residing in housing located on Federal property within the boundaries of the closed military installation but whose parents are on active duty in the uniformed services and assigned to a military activity located within the boundaries of an adjoining local educational agency; and
- (5) demonstrates to the satisfaction of the Secretary that such agency’s per-pupil revenue derived from local sources for current expenditures is not less than that revenue for the preceding fiscal year.
- (a) MAXIMUM AMOUNT- The maximum amount that a local educational agency is eligible to receive under this subpart for any fiscal year, when combined with its payment under section 8002(b), shall not be more than 50 percent of the maximum amount determined under section 8002(b).
- (b) INSUFFICIENT FUNDS- If funds appropriated under section 5401 are insufficient to pay the amount determined under subsection (a), the Secretary shall ratably reduce the payment to each local educational agency eligible under this subpart.
- (c) EXCESS FUNDS- If funds appropriated under section 5401 are in excess of the amount determined under subsection (a), the Secretary shall ratably distribute any excess funds to all local educational agencies eligible for payment under section 8002(b).
|Previous||Table of Contents||Next|