School climate is a broad, multifaceted concept that involves many aspects of the student’s educational experience. A positive school climate is essential to providing a safe and supportive learning environment for students. The National Center on Safe Supportive Learning Environments (NCSSLE) has developed a framework and accompanying tools for understanding and improving school climate to help educators identify key areas to focus on to create safe and supportive climates in their schools. Practical resources, including parent and educator guides and school climate surveys, to support states, districts and schools assess and improve conditions for learning.
School Climate Guides and Training Packages
- Creating a Safe and Respectful Environment in Our Nation’s Classrooms – Learning Module developed by NCSSLE provides support educators to reduce instances of bullying behavior and to build a supportive classroom climate in which bullying is less likely to occur. Building on the work of the successful first edition of this resource, this newly revised edition integrates the latest insights and strategies in this constantly emerging field of study. The content is available in Train the Trainer and Individual formats.
- The Trauma-Sensitive Schools Training Package developed by NCSSLE offers school and district administrators a framework and roadmap for adopting a trauma-sensitive approach school- or districtwide. The Training Package includes a variety of resources for educating school staff about trauma and trauma-sensitive practices and for providing school leaders with a step-by-step process for implementing a universal, trauma-informed approach using package materials. School and district leaders are encouraged to begin by reviewing the Implementation Guide for an overview of the package components and their intended use.
School Climate Improvement Tools
- The School Climate Improvement Resource Package developed by NCSSLE includes a variety of resources to meet a range of needs among stakeholders interested in improving school climate. These resources include: Quick Guide on Making School Climate Improvements; School Climate Improvement Reference Manual; School Climate Improvement Action Guides; School Climate Data Interpretation Resources; and Online Modules.
- The ED School Climate Surveys (EDSCLS) developed by NCSSLE allows States, local districts, and schools to collect and act on reliable, nationally validated school climate data in real-time. The EDSCLS builds on federal initiatives and research, which recommended that the Department work on the issue of school climate.
- The School-Climate Survey Compendium maintained by NCSSLE is a collection of valid and reliable surveys, assessments, and scales of school climate that can assist educators in their efforts to identify and assess their conditions for learning.
- Infographic on Seven Ways Schools Can Maintain Supportive Climates. This infographic provided in English and Spanish by IDRA EAC-South shares ways that school districts can ensure safe and supportive campus climates for students, teachers, staff, and families during this pandemic.
Back to OESE Resources Page.