Who May Apply: . To be considered for an award under this competition, an applicant must be one of the following:
(1) An local education agency (LEA) in which 20 percent or more of the students served by the local educational agency are from families with an income below the poverty line;
(2) A consortium of such LEAs;
(3) An state education agency (SEA);
(4) An institution of higher education (IHE);
(5) A museum or cultural institution;
(6) The Bureau of Indian Education;
(7) An eligible national nonprofit organization; or
(8) Another private agency, institution, or organization.
Note: If you are a nonprofit organization, under 34 CFR 75.51, you may demonstrate your nonprofit status by providing: (1) Proof that the Internal Revenue Service currently recognizes the applicant as an organization to which contributions are tax deductible under section 501(c)(3) of the Internal Revenue Code; (2) a statement from a State taxing body or the State attorney general certifying that the organization is a nonprofit organization operating within the State and that no part of its net earnings may lawfully benefit any private shareholder or individual; (3) a certified copy of the applicant’s certificate of incorporation or similar document if it clearly establishes the nonprofit status of the applicant; or (4) any item described above if that item applies to a State or national parent organization, together with a statement by the State or parent organization that the applicant is a local nonprofit affiliate.