FY 2023 MSAP Competition
The FY 2023 MSAP Competition is now closed. All applicants will be notified of their status by no later than September 30, 2023. The following information is provided to assist in preparing an application for the Magnet Schools Assistance Program in a future competition. After you have reviewed this information, please contact us at MSAP.Team@ed.gov with any questions you may have or to be notified of future competitions.
FY 2023 Notice Inviting Applications
- Posted in the Federal Register on March 14, 2023: PDF (290 KB)
- Deadline for Notice of Intent to Apply: April 13, 2023
- Deadline for Transmittal of Applications: May 15, 2023
FY 2023 MSAP Application Instructions
The MSAP Application Package is for applicants to download and use as a guide only. These Application Instructions can also be found on the Grants.gov.
- FY 2023 MSAP Application Instructions PDF (8 MB)
Technical Assistance Opportunities for Applicants
Office Hours and Q&A
The MSAP Team will hold open office hours on Microsoft Teams on Thursday, April 6, 13, and 20, 2023 from 1:00 – 2:00 p.m. Eastern.
- Office Hours will take place here and will not be recorded: Click here to join the meeting
- Meeting ID: 215 541 491 016; Passcode: zTucLn
- Or call in (audio only): +1 202-991-0393,,25733361#; Phone Conference ID: 257 333 61#
Applicants may also reach out to us at MSAP.Team@ed.gov with questions or to arrange a meeting time.
The MSAP team and TA Center held two live webinars for applicants on:
- The Notice Inviting Applications and Applying for MSAP – March 23, 2023
- Eligibility and the Civil Right Components of MSAP – March 30, 2023
Recordings and transcripts for both webinars are available below. In addition, please find links to webinars conducted in FY 2022 on key areas that may be helpful to consider while preparing your FY 2023 MSAP application. The NIA for the 2023 MSAP Competition has changed very little since 2022, so the materials presented below are up to date and relevant to this year.
Overview of the Notice Inviting Applications
Recorded on March 24, 2023
|ED MSAP Team|
Eligibility and Civil Rights Reviews
Recorded on March 30, 2023
|U.S. Department of Education Office of Civil Rights Team|
The Magnet Development Framework
Recorded on March 1, 2022
|MSAP Center Consultant Doreen Marvin|
Logic Models and Performance Measures
Recorded on March 15, 2022
Evidence of Promise Study Guidance
Recorded on March 22, 2022
|MSAP Center Consultant Ginger Stoker|
MSAP Required Tables and Forms
To demonstrate eligibility for MSAP, applicants must include as part of their application, a Voluntary or Required Desegregation Plan, Plan Information and Assurances and several current and projected Enrollment Tables for the LEA, proposed magnet school(s), and feeder school(s) (please note that for MSAP, the term “feeder school” refers to the school a magnet student would have attended if the magnet school did not exist).
These forms are not located in the Grants.gov application packet. They must be completed electronically and uploaded into the Grants.gov system as attachments. Please DO NOT SCAN COMPLETED FORMS. When downloading, please save the forms with your applicant name and the name of the Form.
- Desegregation Plan Type, Summary, and Assurances Form – PDF (169 KB)
- Tables 1-6 in Excel – Microsoft Excel (92 KB)
- 1—Magnet Schools Included in the Project
- 2—LEA-Level Enrollment Data
- 3—Magnet School Enrollment Data
- 4—Feeder School Enrollment Data
- 5— Optional Supporting New or Revised Projects Information (Competitive Preference Priority 2) Note: You may also use this form – PDF (70 KB)
- 6— Optional Selection of Students (Competitive Preference Priority 3) Note: You may also use this form – PDF (73 KB)
In Grants.gov you will find two additional optional forms
- A form to present evidence for Competitive Preference Priority 2 -– PDF (127 KB)
- A form to submit proposed Project Objectives and Performance Measures Form in response to Selection Criteria e – Program Evaluation – PDF (176 KB)
Finally, here is further Information for Joint Applications for applicants for Competitive Preference Priority 5.
FY 2023 Notice of Intent to Apply
Applicants are encouraged to notify the U.S. Department of Education of the applicant’s intent to submit an application for funding by emailing us at email@example.com with the subject line, “[LEA Name(s)] Intent to Apply”].
An entity may submit an application even if they did not submit a notice of intent to apply. The Notices of Intent to Apply simply assist the Department in developing a more efficient process for reviewing grant applications.
The deadline to submit the intent to apply is preferably by April 13, 2023, but we appreciate your notifying us even if after this date.
Call for Peer Reviewers!
To apply to serve as a Peer Reviewer for the FY 2023 MSAP Competition, please email MSAP.TEAM@ed.gov with a resume and the subject line “MSAP 2023 Peer Review,” preferably before April 14, 2023. For further details and peer reviewer requirements, please review our page.