Applicant Info and Eligibility
FY 2023 TSL Notice Inviting Applications
Posted in the Federal Register on May 24, 2023
The U.S. Department of Education is pleased to announce that the Notice Inviting Applications (NIA) for the Teacher and School Leader Incentive Program published in the Federal Register on May 24, 2023 and closes on June 28, 2023. The Department of Education plans to award approximately $95 million to eligible applicants to develop, implement, improve, or expand comprehensive performance-based compensation systems (PBCS) or human capital management systems (HCMS) for teachers, principals, or other school leaders (especially for teachers, principals, or other school leaders in high-need schools who raise student growth and academic achievement and close the achievement gap between high- and low-performing students.
Grant Opportunity and Application Package (Grants.gov):
More information about this grant opportunity is located on Grants.gov at the following address: https://www.grants.gov/web/grants/search-grants.html?keywords=84.422a. The application instructions and required forms can be accessed and downloaded from this location.
FY 2023 TSL Competition Timeline
- TSL Application Publish Date: May 24, 2023
- Intent to Apply: June 7, 2023 (Email Intents to Apply to TSL@ed.gov SUBJECT: Intent to Apply TSL FY 23)
- Deadline for Transmittal of Applications: June 28, 2023 (11:59:59 pm EDT)
- Estimated Award Announcement: By Sept 30, 2023
Pre-Application Informational Webinar
On Thursday, June 1, 2023 at 2pm EDT, will host a pre-application webinar designed to provide technical assistance to prospective FY 2023 TSL competition applicants.
Electronic Applicant Submission
Applications must be submitted electronically through the Grants.gov system at http://www.grants.gov.
- Applicants are encouraged to download the TSL Application Instructions document and review it in its entirety. It contains information and instructions that will be helpful to you as you prepare to submit your TSL application.
- The TSL Application Instructions Package should be used as guidance only and applicants should always refer to the TSL NIA for official application instructions.
- Use the following link to download and review the TSL Application Instructions.
Required Application Forms
The following ED required forms are included in the electronic application package in Grants.gov. Below is a list of the required forms that must be completed and submitted at the time of application. Electronic versions of each form can be found at the following link: https://www2.ed.gov/fund/grant/apply/appforms/appforms.html.
- ED Form 424–Application for Federal Education Assistance (Form and Instructions)
- ED Grant Application Form for Project Objectives and Performance Measures Information – 1894-0017
- gov Lobbying Form
- Standard Form LLL–Disclosure of Lobbying Activities
- Required Response to Section 427 of GEPA
- EED Budget Narrative Template (see below)
Required TSL Program Forms
Required EED Applicant/Grantee Budget Worksheet – This EED Applicant/Grantee Budget Worksheet is REQUIRED and should be submitted in addition to the ED 524 Budget Form for the TSL program. Applicants are strongly encouraged to review the document instructions as well as solicit help from their budget office when completing the worksheet. The worksheet must be submitted at the time of application. This budget worksheet must be completed and uploaded into the Budget Narrative Attachment section of your TSL application.
- Required EED Applicant/Grantee Budget Worksheet
- Required EED Applicant/Grantee Budget Worksheet Instructions
Optional TSL Program Form
Applicants are strongly encouraged to use the TSL Checklist to assist them in completing the TSL application. The worksheet is optional and can be submitted at the time of application.
Optional TSL Application Checklist
Peer Review Panel Member Opportunity
The U.S. Department of Education (ED) is seeking expert peer reviewers for the Fiscal Year 2023 competition for the Teacher and School Leader (TSL) Incentive program. We invite individuals with backgrounds or expertise in American history, civics education, professional development and/or program evaluation to apply for consideration. If you are interested in serving as a peer reviewer for the FY 2023 TSL competition, please send an email to TSL@ed.gov SUBJECT: FY23 TSL Peer Review.
Previous TSL Competitions:
- FY 2021 – TSL Competition
- FY 2020 – TSL Competition
- FY 2019 – Although there were no new competitions for the TIF or TSL programs in 2019, one additional award was made from the 2017 competition results.
- FY 2018 – There were no new competitions for the TIF or TSL programs.
- FY 2017 – TSL Competition (Historical – Teacher and School Leader Program, post ESSA authorization
- FY 2016 – TIF Competition (Historical – Last Teacher Incentive Fund Competition)