The program offers two separate year-long tracks. The Washington D.C. Fellowship is a full-time appointment where teachers, principals, and other school staff members are based in residence at the Department’s Headquarters in Washington, DC; and the campus fellowship enables educators to collaborate with the Department on a part-time basis while maintaining their regular school responsibilities in their home communities. Fellows engage in a variety of activities including, but not limited to:
- Serving as resident experts regarding internal policy and program development;
- Communicating ED priorities to the field through blogs, social media, and in-person convenings;
- Hosting educators at ED for listening sessions, roundtables, etc.;
- Creating written and oral communiques that address areas of interest in the field;
- Gathering data from practitioners; and
- Serving as the Department’s outward facing representatives.