To be eligible for the School Ambassador Fellowship program, participants must:
- Be a US Citizen or Permanent Resident.
- Currently be a teacher, administrator, student support provider or other certified school staff member (and anticipate being employed in this role during the next school year).
- Employed by a traditional public, charter, private, virtual, military (DoDEA), or tribal (BIE) school that serves any grade, preschool through twelfth.
- Have at least five years of experience as an educator up to and including the current school year.
- Have daily meaningful interaction with students and educators in a school setting in his/her school role.
Desirable applicants have:
- A history of demonstrable and meaningful impact on student outcomes and school success.
- A record of leadership in the school and community settings.
- Strong written and oral communication skills.
- Experience with outreach activities and project management skills.
- Relevant insights from classroom, school and/or district experiences that are transferable to federal education programs and initiatives.
- Support from school and district leaders.
A complete application includes:
- Verification of program eligibility requirements
- A written personal statement
- A one-page, written abstract for your Capstone project if selected to be a 2021-2022 Fellow
- Two recommender forms
- A current resume and cover letter
How Applications Are Evaluated
All applications are screened and reviewed by teams of current and alumni Fellows and Department staff members. The most highly-rated applicants may be asked to participate in virtual and potentially in-person interview processes. All applicants will be notified about their progress in the Fellowship application and selection process. All materials within the application are peer-reviewed and will be assessed against the key qualities we seek in School Ambassador Fellows. These key qualities include:
- Demonstrable Contributions to Student Learning
- Effective Leadership Skills
- Strong Communication Skills
- Relevant Interests and Expertise
- School System Support
Narrative responses should address:
- The candidate’s personal and professional experiences have defined them as an educator;
- The extent to which candidates have used their career to be an agent of change within their local school district, state, or at the national level;
- The extent to which you will leverage your professional networks, resources, and abilities to promote the Secretary of Education’s priorities and the Department’s strategic goals and initiatives;
- The extent to which your membership in the School Ambassador Fellowship will benefit your school community and/or district.
- Online Ambassador Fellowship Program Application System
- Online Ambassador Fellowship Program Participation Verification Form
- School Ambassador Fellowship Program Overview
- School Ambassador Fellowship Flyer
- Notice of Appropriate Use
Applications for the 2021-2022 cohort of the School Ambassador Fellowship are now being accepted until 11:59p.m. Eastern Standard Time January 11. 2021 Please sign-up for updates to stay in contact with the program.
In order to be considered for the 2021-2022 School Ambassador Fellowship cohort, you must use this online system to submit a complete application. Any materials submitted by U.S. mail or email will not be reviewed.
Notice of Appropriate Use
You are accessing a U.S. Government computer system, which may be accessed and used only for authorized Government business by authorized personnel. Unauthorized access or use of this computer system may subject violators to criminal, civil, and/or administrative action.
All information on this computer system may be intercepted, recorded, read, copied, and disclosed by and to authorized personnel for official purposes, including criminal investigations. Such information includes sensitive data encrypted to comply with confidentiality and privacy requirements. Access or use of this computer system by any person, whether authorized or unauthorized, constitutes consent to these terms.