April 28, 2023
- Initial information published on webpages to show competition publication
May 1, 2023
- Updated email address to AmericanHistoryandCivics@Ed.gov
- Updated the application instructions with a version that includes the links to the EED budget worksheet
May 22, 2023
- Added links to the pre-application webinar recording and webinar slides.
June 1, 2023
- Corrected an error in the application instructions that previously suggested a 40-page limit to the project narrative. The correct suggested project narrative page limit is 50 pages.
- Uploaded optional checklist (Appendix G)
June 7, 2023
- Updated Application Instructions to include ED Grant Application Form for Project Objectives and Performance Measures Information – 1894-0017
FY 2023 AHC-A Notice Inviting Applications
Posted in the Federal Register on April 28, 2023
The Effective Educator Development Programs Division is excited to announce that on April 28, 2023, the U.S. Department of Education published in the Federal Register a Notice Inviting Applications (NIA) for the American History and Civics Education (AHC-A) grant program. This AHC-A FY 2023 grant competition has an estimated $3 million and anticipates making approximately 3-5 new awards. Please refer to the posting on the Federal Register for the full text of the FY 2023 AHC-A Notice Inviting Applications (NIA). The FY 2023 AHC-A grant competition will close on July 12, 2023.
Grant Opportunity and Application Package (Grants.gov):
More information about this grant opportunity is located on Grants.gov at the following address: https://www.grants.gov/web/grants/search-grants.html?keywords=84.422a. The application instructions and required forms can be accessed and downloaded from this location.
FY 2023 AHC-A Competition Timeline
- AHC-A Application Publish Date: April 28, 2023
- Intent to Apply: May 29, 2023 (Email Intents to Apply to OESE.AmericanHistoryandCivics@ed.gov SUBJECT: Intent to Apply AHC-Academies FY 23)
- Deadline for Transmittal of Applications: July 12, 2023 (11:59:59 p.m. Washington, DC time)
- Estimated Award Announcement: Sept 30, 2023
Pre-Application Informational Webinar
On Wednesday, May 17, 2023, we hosted a pre-application webinar designed to provide technical assistance to prospective FY 2023 AHC-A Competition applicants.
If you were unable to attend the webinar, we have included links to both the video recording as well as presentation slides.
Electronic Applicant Submission
Applications must be submitted electronically through the Grants.gov system at http://www.grants.gov.
- Applicants are encouraged to download the AHC-A Application Instructions document and review it in its entirety. It contains information and instructions that will be helpful to you as you prepare to submit your AHC-A application.
- The AHC-A Application Instructions Package should be used as guidance only and applicants should always refer to the AHC-A NIA for official application instructions.
- Use the following link to download and review the AHC-A Application Instructions.
Required Application Forms
The following ED required forms are included in the electronic application package in Grants.gov. Below is a list of the required forms that must be completed and submitted at the time of application. Electronic versions of each form can be found at the following link: https://www2.ed.gov/fund/grant/apply/appforms/appforms.html.
- ED Form 424–Application for Federal Education Assistance (Form and Instructions)
- ED Grant Application Form for Project Objectives and Performance Measures Information – 1894-0017
- gov Lobbying Form
- Standard Form LLL–Disclosure of Lobbying Activities
- Required Response to Section 427 of GEPA
- EED Budget Narrative Template (see below)
Required AHC-A Program Forms
Required EED Applicant/Grantee Budget Worksheet – This EED Applicant/Grantee Budget Worksheet is REQUIRED and should be submitted in addition to the ED 524 Budget Form for the AHC-A program. Applicants are strongly encouraged to review the document instructions as well as solicit help from their budget office when completing the worksheet. The worksheet must be submitted at the time of application. This budget worksheet must be completed and uploaded into the Budget Narrative Attachment section of your AHC-A application.
- Required EED Applicant/Grantee Budget Worksheet
- Required EED Applicant/Grantee Budget Worksheet Instructions
Optional AHC Program Form
Applicants are encouraged to use the AHC-A Checklist to assist them in completing the AHC application. The worksheet is optional and can be submitted at the time of application.
Peer Review Panel Member Opportunity
The U.S. Department of Education (ED) is seeking expert peer reviewers for the Fiscal Year 2023 competition for the American History-Academies (AHC-A) program. We invite individuals with backgrounds or expertise in American history, civics education, professional development and/or program evaluation to apply for consideration. If you are interested in serving as a peer reviewer for the FY 2023 AHC-A competition, please send an email to AmericanHistoryandCivics@ed.gov
To learn more about the previous competitions, please visit: