The Office of Elementary and Secondary Education (OESE) supports teachers, principals, school leaders, and other educators as they help to launch the problem-solvers and innovators of the future.
OESE supports State and local efforts to implement evidence-based teacher development programs, enhance professional development for new teachers, and encourage alternative routes teaching certification through grants to states, local education agencies (LEAs), institutes for higher education (IHEs), or other organizations. Learn more about OESE’s programs below.
- Improving Teacher Quality State Grants The purpose of this program is to increase academic achievement by improving teacher and principal quality.
- Supporting Effective Educator Development (SEED) Grant Program The SEED grant program provides funding to increase the number of highly effective educators by supporting the implementation of evidence-based preparation, development, or enhancement opportunities for educators.
- Teacher Incentive Fund (TIF)The TIF program provides funding for projects that develop and implement performance-based teacher and principal compensation systems in high-need schools.
- Teacher and School Leader Incentive Program (TSL)The TSL program builds on the former TIF program and promotes performance-based compensation and comprehensive human capital management systems for teachers, principals, and other school leaders. TSL also promotes comprehensive Evaluation and Support Systems for all Educators within an LEA, especially those serving in high-need schools.
- Teacher Quality Partnership (TQP) Program The TQP Program provides funding to institutions of higher education (IHEs) to provide high-quality new teacher preparation programs and enhanced professional development activities for new teachers.
- Teach to Lead Teach to Lead is an initiative jointly convened by the National Board for Professional Teaching Standards, ASCD and the U.S. Department of Education. The program’s mission is to advance student outcomes by expanding opportunities for teacher leadership.
- Mathematics and Science Partnerships This program is designed to improve the content knowledge of teachers and the performance of students in the areas of mathematics and science by encouraging states, IHEs, LEAs, and elementary and secondary schools to participate in programs that improve and upgrade mathematics and science teaching.
- State Personnel Development This program assists SEAs in reforming and improving their systems for personnel preparation and professional development in early intervention, education, and transition services in order to improve results for children with disabilities.
Learn more about OESE’s programs.